Day 896

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Up at 7 and at Alice's by 8:30.  No writing today...okay, maybe and hour or less, but today I really wanted to take a day off and relax my brain.  Which I did to some extent.  I talked to Jill and Kevin on the phone.  I watched Obama amazing South Carolina eulogy, which will be sen as one of the pivotal moments in American history.  It stems from the act of forgiveness articulated by the families of the murdered church participants last week.  I'm still processing the power of forgiveness, a reaction so profound that the confederate flag is making the transition from flag pole to museum piece.  I need to learn how to forgive and show more grace.  I know all about justice, fairness, punishment and retribution, but forgiveness?  My reaction last week upon hearing the family members speak to that young white racist was disbelief.  It reminded me of a family member who said the same thing to the Green River Killer a number of years ago when he was finally captured and brought to justice.  The serial killer broke down in tears when the family member said he forgave him.  It's a truly disarming and powerful response to such violence and hatred.  Saying it is one thing, but to truly mean it is another.  To truly forgive someone for taking the life of a family member...in church...after spending an hour with them in a bible study...I told my racquetball partner Dorian I need to go to church with him in order to learn forgiveness and grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment