Day 895

Saturday, June 27, 2015

I spent the whole day writing, from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m., with many breaks in between.  Once I'm in the zone, I can't do anything else.  The story takes over and I'm submerged.  I'm at a place in my writing life where I can fully invest in what I'm trying to create and it ends up taking all of me.  It's a strange and wonderful place to be, something that has taken years, actually decades, to develop.  I remember other writers talking about this when I was in my 20s and 30s.  It seemed impossible, this extended time of continuous energy devoted to something as frustrating and challenging as writing, but now I get it.  It's something I've arrived at by simply doing it day in, day out, every day, making it my number one priority.  I can see where I'm going with this new story, but I sure wish it didn't demand so many hundreds of hours when I don't have hundreds to spare.  That's the writer's life I guess, constantly battling for more time when each passing hour offers less and less of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment