Day 883

Monday, June 15, 2015

Up at 4, home at 4:35, then racquetball from 5-7.  Dorian was there and we were in the Warrior spirit, winning most of our a.m. matches.  We were clicking.

Came home and wrote a few thousand words in Nos. 2 and 3, then went to Pixar for lunch with Tony.  I looked over his drawings for a picture book he's putting together, and I really liked it.  We brainstormed a few ideas and I shared with him my new project.  He's one talented guy!

Back at home, I wrote another 1,000 words in No. 3 and listened to about an hour's worth of Taylor Swift songs.  I have about 50-60 songs to learn well enough to apply to certain situations in Mindy's life.  I know about 15-20 pretty well right now.  It certainly captures what being a teen is all about.  I can't think of a better way to write about the music of Vivaldi than to embrace it with the soundtrack of the YA universe.  If I can pull this off and attract a willing team of believers, this novel will be great fun to talk about and promote.

After dinner, I watched the season finale of Game of Thrones.  A lot happened in this episode, but of course a lot of cliffhangers remain.  It's like a very slow "24," only instead of hours, GoT takes years to play out its storylines.  It's so obvious how ridiculous they're stretching out some of these storylines, but they get away with it because the sets and effects are spectacular, and a few of the characters are compelling enough to carry on through the tedium.

I also watched episode 2, season 3 of Hannibal and found myself feeling a little uneasy with this television masterpiece, perhaps because I was expecting a quick-moving procedural after the beautifully shot, but  heavily atmospheric (and somewhat confusing) season premiere.  To have another slow-moving, ethereal, what's-going-on episode back-to-back is a mistake that I certainly hope is corrected in episode 3.  Listen, I love beautifully filmed shots and sequences, but I also really need a story to move forward quickly enough so that I forget I'm watching a story.  That didn't happen in this episode.  Actually, I was more aware of my growing irritation than anything else.  When Will is the focus of an entire episode, things need to move because he's not nearly as interesting as Hannibal.  To be honest, I'm tired of Will and his crazy moodiness and real world/dream world hallucinations.  I hope this series hasn't fallen so in love with it's own stylized storytelling that it's forgotten the basic necessities of how to tell a good story.  Then again, maybe my crankiness was due to watching this episode immediately after watching Game of Thrones.

In bed by 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment