Day 885

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Up at 4:30, racquetball until 7, then home for another wonderful full day of writing.  Today I went through No. 2, shaping the paragraphs, establishing details and dialogue, giving the chapter shape.  This is really the first draft with about 5,000 words that have already been written to get me started.  My first draft is really my second draft, and the words I use in the first draft are always rewritten.  That's why I've been writing first drafts so quickly.  There's no point in wasting any time on them since I completely rewrite them anyway.  Besides, good things often happen when you type for the sake of typing and just let the mind wander.  All sorts of good ideas have come to me that way.

The day went so quickly.  Before I knew it, 8 p.m. had arrived and my weekly talk with Chris.  We chatted 90 minutes about his novel In the Duff and my La Stravaganza.  Afterward I talked with Alice for a few minutes, then hit the wall and went right to bed.  A day flies by when it's all writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment