Day 775

Friday, February 27, 2015

Up at 4:45, to the gym at 5 but only for the jacuzzi and showers.  Steve and Dorian were there, disappointed that I wasn't playing but hoping I'd be back Monday.  I hate not playing.

Returned home at 6, and went to Starbuck's and Arizmendi with Alice before she headed off to work.

I worked at Varinsky today and interviewed Alissa's daughter Veronica, who's 13 and went on a 3-day urban hike with her dad over the Christmas holidays from Berkeley to San Jose.  She took pictures of all the dead animals she saw along the way.  I want to write some kind of story about this. I love the details this kid comes up with.

I'm plowing through this book:


I'm particularly interested in how the dog is presented, what the dog thinks and says, and whether I buy it.  I don't buy this voice at all, but what do I know.  So many people love this book.  I'm unable to lose myself in the dog's psyche.  All I hear is the writer writing.  I think it's well written but nothing special, and the humans in it are not that compelling.  I'm also not into race cars and I'm sure there's an underlying profoundness to the story that captures the human condition in a way that I'm completely missing.  I'm halfway through and hoping to finish, but unless I race through it within the next day or so, the odds of finishing are slim.

There are several other books I'd like to look over, including Farley Mowat's The Dog That Wouldn't Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment