Day 755

Saturday, February 7, 2015



Today was full of keynote talks, breakout sessions, gala dinners, and for me, naps.  I was tired after yesterday and came back to my room a few times throughout the day for my signature 20-minute power nap.  They never fail me.  I'm like a new person after them.

The Chrysler Building is one of the most beautiful in the world!
 The first keynote was at 9 with Anthony Horowitz, writer of dozens of books for children.  He talks as quickly as he undoubtedly writers.  He was engaging and entertaining in a very British sort of way.  I liked him.

Next came a panel of editors talking about the children's book industry.  Apparently, things are quite good.  The sky isn't falling from kindle sales and children still seem to love books.  No surprise there.

My first breakout session was with Jordan Brown, editor at Walden Pond Press.  His talk was called "When a Manuscript is Ready for Submission."  The room was packed.  I listened attentively, but couldn't wait to break away and sleep for 20 minutes, which I did the moment his talk concluded.

This was when I had my first of two sandwiches at the Cambodian place on 41st Street and 3rd.  I had the chicken sandwich and it lived up to it's four-star rating on Yelp.

My next talk was at 2 in the Regency Room of the Grand Hyatt, listening to Margaret Raymo, editor with Houghton Mifflin, talk about being an editor.  She was very real and down to earth.  I liked her.

At 4:15, I listened to a very interesting keynote by Kami Garcia, author of the Beautiful Creatures series.  I don't think I heard a single obstacle getting in the way of her meteoric rise to the top.  Many there were many, but didn't hear one.  Lucky her.

I went back to the hotel, rested again, then hit the gala at 6, hanging out with my CA buds for a few hours, eating, drinking and chatting until 9.  By then I was totally done for the day, and headed back to my room for good.  I went to sleep by 10:30.  A long, busy, fruitful day.

The Chrysler Building Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment