Day 748

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Time for the big Stockton Super Bowl Shootout, one of the most enjoyable one-day events of the year.  Steve Basham and I played it last year and this year we were ready to claim the trophy as our own.

We started our trip at 6:45 a.m.

     
Bag ready to go!





 We arrived in Stockton at 8 a.m. and our first match was ready to go.  I played a new young gun who was fast and full of energy, but I managed to take care of business in two games.  The second game went just as well.  My third match was a struggle.  Bill, whom I've played a few times, had some great serves and I lost the first game 4-11.  Luckily, I rallied in the second and took it 11-4, creating a tie, but because he'd lost one of his games in a previous match, I moved on to the semi's.
 

Steve and I getting ready for some doubles action!

In the semis, I played a guy from Reno named Jerome, whose serves were amazing.  I couldn't get to them.  I lost the first game 9-11, won the second 11-6, then lost the third 4-11.  He was good.  Steve played him in the finals and it also went to a tie-breaker, but Jerome held his own and came out on top 11-10 in a real nail-biter.  Great playing by both guys.

 
Finalist Steve and Champion Jerome

Steve, Jerome, Michael
 Our doubles matches began in mid-afternoon.  We played strong the first few matches, but tanked in our last match against players from our own club, Ramon and Gary, losing badly and knocking ourselves out of contention.  Which was fine because by 8 p.m. I was done.  Great times and also great seeing some familiar faces I hadn't seen in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment