Day 756

Sunday, February 8, 2015


SCBWI saved one of the best keynote for their final day.  James Dashner, author of the Maze Runner series, was very funny and very authentic.  He was a real writer, full of real war stories and endless pain and suffering, along with excitement, movie deals, advice for writers, all those things I've come to appreciate in a writer sharing his or her tale of how they got where they are.  I really enjoyed this one and plan to pick up his book eventually.


This is one cool cover.

I could have stayed for more SCBWI action, but wasn't aware my flight would eventually be delayed 3 hours.  I left the Grand Central area around 1, boarding my NYC Airporter bus just a block from my hotel and arrived at JFK around 2.  I hung out at the Jet Blue terminal until 7:15.  Finally, I boarded my plane and we were off to SFO.  I kept reading Middlemarch all the way back home and I have to say, I've fallen in love with George Eliot.  It certainly doesn't hurt that I imagine her as Mary in Downton Abbey.




Mary, Mary, Mary.  Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.  Downton Abbey is really just a sophisticated version of the Brady Bunch, complete with its own whiny Jan (Edith, for the love of God, please, please, please get a grip!), which is perhaps why I love this guilty pleasure so much. 

By 11:45, I was back home with my sweet Alice, a better writer for my efforts and hopefully, one step closer to finding my brilliant, well-connected agent who can take me where I want to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment