Day 753

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Up at 4, out the door at 4:25, at SFO Park & Fly at 4:50, then my Jet Blue gate at 5:15.  A very easy morning with no traffic and few people up this early at the airport.  I've chosen two books to read during the 4.5-hour flight to NYC:



Brown Girl Dreaming came up as a two-week electronic library loan, so I'm reading it on my iPhone, while Middlemarch has been taking up space on my Kindle for a couple years.  I'm embarrassed to say I've never read any George Eliot (one of my many holes), but after a few chapters I found myself thoroughly engaged.  Talk about smart and lyrical.  Brown Girl Dreaming is a different kind of lyrical.  I'm not the verse type, but I am the good writing type, and this is truly fine stuff.  I whipped through BGD pretty quickly.  I can see why it's received all the acclaim and attention.  It's wonderful.  But Middlemarch...this hits me deep in the pocket, like pure Dickens stripped of excess nonsense.  I feel grownup reading this.  Needless to say, the flight when quickly.  The good news with Middlemarch is I still have 90% left!

I arrived at JFK around 3:15 p.m.  I took the NYC Airporter for $16 to Grand Central, which was fine.  Traffic was a bit thick in spots, but otherwise a non-issue.  I arrived at the Westin Grand at 4:30.  Check-in was a breeze.

I'd paid for my room back on the Monday after Thanksgiving, aka Cyber Monday, which is actually a great day to book a room in New York.  The conference rate for the Grand Hyatt was around $250, but I paid $187 for an upgraded corner room with a view overlooking 41st Street and free wifi. 



It was great.  I love those Westin beds.  I unpacked, then took a walk around the area, including Grand Central Station, where I ate at Shakeshack and played with new Apple devices at the Grand Central iStore. 

Yum!
Wonderful!

Awesome!
It was cold in NY but not ridiculously cold.  I took several pictures of Grand Central Station while trying not to get in anyone's way, but that proved to be impossible, which was why I found safety from the ledge atop the iStore.  I love the grandness of Grand Central.  It lives up to its reputation.  I stayed at least an hour, soaking in the rush hour vibe and the rhythm and impatience of its frantic commuters.  I headed back to the hotel around 8 and watched TV until 10, then crashed.  Looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment