Day - 1582

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Sue was not happy with Dad's Trump attack last night, even though I told her I didn't mind and in fact found it all a bit full-circle grounding in a weird sort of way.  I guess he does that regularly now with anyone who comes over.  Sue may suffer PTSD from so many years with a true drinking narcissist.  Retirement is not good for drinkers because it gives them more time to drink.  I saw the effects of retirement firsthand with Bob Thompson.  He dwindled away to nothing within a matter of months.

Sue and I had a long walk and long talk over lunch. She feels financially trapped with no exit plan, but is so ready to leave the total madness and narcissism of my crazy dad. She hadn’t told anyone, so it was like an emotional dam breaking. I guess I had always assumed she had more control over Dad, but narcissists always wear down even the strongest personality types. They live in such a beautiful house but it sure is a broken, unhappy home. She should have left him a long time ago, but I’m not sure she can. I guess we’ll see. As for me, having a crazy dad like that explains a lot about my life and who I am, but I’m glad I took a huge negative (growing up with a nasty alcoholic bully) and turned it into a huge positive (I have a no-bully force field that keeps bullies from messing with me).

I left Birch Bay around 1:10 and drove back to Redmond to Neal and Karin's.  We hung out for about 30 minutes or so, then headed to the U district to meet Susan, Jay and Kathryn for dinner before Sara's reading at 7.

Revenna Third Place Books is a very well-stocked, lovely bookstore with a sweet patio area next to the parking lot.  We took over one of the large tables near the front door and ordered a bunch of different things while chatting for about 90 minutes.  It was great!  We really need to spend more time together.  It's such a blast hanging out with these amazing people. 

Neal and Karin joined me for Sara's reading, which was standing room only. 


It was very good and very well attended. Sara is a natural at these things.  She was funny, charming, witty and had the audience in the palm of her hand. Great energy and a strong first chapter that she read from. Neal and Karin left after the signing but I hung around at the after-party and chatted with Sara, her husband Matthew, and several of Sara’s writing friends. Really fun!

I didn’t arrive at my hotel near SeaTac until 11:30 and had a 6:50 am flight the next day, so I only slept a few hours, knowing my feel would be dragging tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment