Day - 1557

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Slept until 8, then got ready for the day and drove to SF with violin, books and clothes for tonight's symphony concert.  Practiced an hour or so in the afternoon, but other than that, just rested.  I definitely felt better today for the first time in a week.

Alice made a delicious salmon, rice and ginger dish that was so tasty.  We left for the symphony at 6:15 and arrived early for the pre-concert talk.  On tonight's program was a world premiere by John Adams, Rachmaninov's 4th Piano Concerto, and Schumann's Symphony No. 3.  It was a great program and the first of ten concerts we have tickets for.

The pianist for the Rachmaninov, Daniil Trifonov, a magnificent and quirky young virtuoso, jumped up and down from his bench throughout his performance.  He walks and moves like an absent-minded genius who's not quite wound up properly.  The 4th is an interesting piece, not my favorite, but certainly enjoyable.  I can see why it didn't grab the interest of audiences after Rach's 2nd and 3rd Concertos.  Hard to hum this one.

I like the 3rd better.


The John Adams world premiere, written for MTT and his husband, called I Still Dance.  Lots of energy and movement in this virtuoso orchestra piece.  I liked it!

The Schumann was inspiring and beautiful, though I think I love the 4th most of all.

After the concert, we headed home and off to bed by 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment