Day - 1385

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Final day in Los Angeles.  I met Neil Bason for breakfast at 7 a.m. at the Corner Bakery Cafe next to HB.  We caught up for an hour or so.  He's now engaged to Karin.  He proposed on Valentine's Day.  Karin isn't divorced yet.  She's been separated for four-five years.  I asked why she and her ex weren't divorced, and of course the reason was complicated.  How could it not be complicated.  Karin's step-father is handling her divorce, but also representing her ex.  Huh?  I didn't probe too deeply.  No one has met Karin yet, though Neil is hoping we'll meet her this summer.  We'll see.  It's hard to plan for anything until the pandemic calms down.

After breakfast, I went to HB for a couple of hours to go over yesterday's training talking points, then packed up and headed back home.  My flight out of Burbank was at 2:40 p.m.  There may have been 15 people on board.


It was so good to be home.  Now, for the foreseeable future, I'll be practicing social distancing, the new term we'll all adopted.  I sent a text to Chris, our assistant conductor of the Oakland Civic Orchestra, saying I would not be at rehearsal tonight, and in the afternoon our conductor Marty sent out an email to everyone saying rehearsals would be postponed until the corona emergency was over.  Then at work, an email was sent out telling employees to work from home, so now there's no reason to leave the house and apartment, except for food and supplies.

With cancellations of orchestra rehearsals and the new policy to work from home every day, today feels like a tipping point.  Today, the WHO officially declared the coronavirus a pandemic.  Covid-19 is all you hear on the news, and flattening the curve, a term I've been familiar with for a couple of weeks now, is now making its way to the main stream.

The podcasts I've been listening to are being echoed on major news programs.  Chris Martenson's blog is being listened to by 80,000 new listeners every day.  I've been listening to Chris's YouTube channel since mid-February.  Today's was excellent and informative.



No comments:

Post a Comment