Day 792

Monday, March 16, 2015

Up at 4, racquetball until 7:10.  A full house this morning with two newbies hitting with us, Kirk and Ronald.  We had six players playing by 5:30.  Nice.

Came home and had my oatmeal and tea while reading two chapters of this:


The chapter on the Pentagon Papers was particularly inspiring.  Here are a few lines:

"Not publishing the information when we had it would be lke not saving a drowning man, or not telling the truth."

"Failure to publish without a fight would constitute an abdication that would brand the Post forever, as an establishment tool of whatever administration was in power."

I also read an article on the New York Times sitting on their warrantless wiretapping story for more than a year because the Bush administration told them not to publish it, and perhaps even threatened them with the Espionage Act if they didn't listen.  The NYT listened and their reputation has been suffering ever since.

"That's what newspapers do: they learn, they report, they verify, the write, and they publish."

Reviewed query of True Colors and first chapter again, looking for any ways to improve it.

I worked at home until 1, then had lunch and left for Wendel at 1:30, arriving at 2.  I put in four hours there and started listening to this for the first 30 minutes, then at home:


I enjoyed listening to this and watching Glenn Greenwald wipe the floor with Michael Hayden and Alan Dershowitz's lame, ridiculous arguments.  GG continues to impress me with his oratory skill and absolute command of the talking points that blow these two pro-surveillance tools out of the water.  I loved every moment of this debate.

After watching, I talked with my nephew Mathew for 60 minutes or so, catching up on his life in Boston and also talking about my awakening in the entire Edward Snowden/NSA story.  He was where I was prior to reading No Place to Hide.  I told him to read the book, then the Citizenfour documentary, then get back to me.

Before bed, I talked with Alice for 20 minutes, then crashed hard.  I was exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment