Day 1088

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Up at 4, took care of a few things, then racquetball from 5-7, work until noon, then home to spend some much-needed time on all my mutual fund and stock investments.  I've been neglectful of this for far too long.  I spent a few hours reading up on my Hennessy Focus fund and Royce Micro Cap fund.  My Hennessy fund has been performing magnificently for several years now.  I love their investment strategy of choosing a few dozen stocks with little churn.  My Micro Cap fun, however, has not been faring so well.  I may dump it in exchange for more Hennessy.  My Fidelity Growth Company and International Diversified have also been performing well. On the Roth IRA side, my Google, Microsoft and Boeing and Amazon continue to shine, though I do need diversify.  I wrote for three hours in the afternoon and early evening, then finished reading the last 60 pages of Atonement.  I'm all set to read everything by Ian McEwan.  He's excellent.

Speaking of excellent, I must write a review of M.T. Anderson's Symphony for the City of the Dead.  Wow, I loved this book.  It's so detailed and rich with history.  It's interesting that it's positioned for young adult readers.  I'm not sure how many will appreciate the history and heaviness woven into this book, but I sure did. Shostakovich's 5th Symphony has been playing in my head for the past two weeks.  The Leningrad Symphony not so much, but maybe that's because the 5th is a masterpiece and the 7th is something different.  What a read...reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's The Road, only ten times more graphic and devastating.



No comments:

Post a Comment