Day 673

Monday, November 17, 2014

Up at 4:45, practiced an hour, then went home and wrote/read until 3 before going to Wendel until 6.  From 7:45-9:45 I had my finals match against Tyrone at Mariner Square.  T has been playing very well lately and I lost to him in my semi-final match a few weeks ago at Club One, so I wasn’t too confident about this match.  The one thing I had going for me was I tend to play well on the Mariner Square courts.  We had a ref for the match which was necessary because T turns into a crazy competitor when a match counts.  He tends to hinder certain offensive shots without realizing it.  Our match was five games to 11, win by 2.  I took an early lead and managed to win the first game 11-9.  T came back and won games two and three 11-6, 11-1.  In the third game, he was on fire and I couldn’t do much to stop him.  In the fourth game, I came out swinging and jumped to an early lead 5-0.  T came back, but I managed to hold on and take game four 11-9, sending the match to a fifth and final tie-breaker.  I had a 6-0 lead in the last game when T took a timeout.  He was anxious and nervous.  I didn’t want to win the match so much as I didn’t want T to win the match.  I wanted to take it from him.  That’s the sick part of me that rises to the occasion in competition.  He came back 6-4, then 8-7, then I closed it out in the end and beat him 11-7.  It was a sweet victory.  I don’t know how many more of those I have left.  I was wiped out afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment