Day 666

Monday, November 10, 2014

My sister Gwen's 50th birthday today.  Woke up at 4:30 and played racquetball until 6:30.  Steve continues to play well and kick my butt.  What can I do to stop the onslaught?  I need to figure something out and quick!

I'm still thinking of this image:


This is a picture of earth taken in 1990 from the Voyager I space craft when it was 3.7 billion miles away and was on its way out of the Solar System.



As Carl Sagan said when the picture was first published, all of human history is contained in that pale blue dot.  It's stunning to think that we live in a universe in which there are ten times as many stars as there are grains of sand on all the beaches and sea floors on earth.  That's quite a detail to contemplate.  The problem with human life is it's far too short to appreciate how long it takes for the universe to create and move and mix its elements among the heavens.  The information we're learning about our place in the cosmos is allowing us a new genesis story from which we can solve the mysteries of our own creation.  100 years of life isn't nearly enough time to learn what we have yet to discover.  What a privilege it is to exist in the here and now and contemplate our origin from the stars.

The first round of the playoffs at Mariner Square was tonight and I faced an easy and not-so-easy double header.  In the quarters, I played Dennis, an older veteran player who's very accurate with his forehead but not so effective with his backhand.  I beat him 15-4 15-9 and waited for the result of the Ivan/Mike C. match before playing my semi-final match.  Ivan beat Mike in two games so we started playing around 8:15.  I was down 2-9, having missed several return of serves that went into the ground.  Once I settled down and made a few shots, I managed to craw back into the game, tying things at 9-9.  I closed out the first game 15-10, which gave me a big psychological advantage going into game two.  I had a 12-5 lead in the first game, but then I tightened up and let Ivan come back.  It was 14-14 when Ivan missed an easy put away, allowing me the chance to serve an ace, which I did.  On the other side of the bracket, Tyrone ended up beating Carlos in a tie-breaker, so T and I play for the Mariner Square title next Monday.  I have a lot of racquetball this week, so I hope my body holds up.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment