Day - 1461

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Thanks to a few things that have happened in the past two years ((1) playing again for the past two years, (2) Scott Yoo's Now Hear This!, (3) reaching an age in which I can truly appreciate the important things in life, (4) Trump (believe it or not, the very worst of humanity ignites in all of us the very best of humanity), (5) a lifelong love affair with J.S. Bach, and (6) a new violin bow, which has triggered a thought of perhaps investing in a new violin next year), I've realized a lifelong goal I would have never imagined for myself, having believed it too impossible, unrealistic, beyond my ability as someone who took a 25-year break from playing music.  What I once thought was impossible is not impossible, is not unreasonable, but is actually exactly what I should do given the desire, commitment, discipline and motivation.  The goal is this:  achieve the technical ability to learn, memorize, and perform Bach's Chaconne to the best of my ability within the next five-to-ten years. This one goal would motivate me to work harder, study more intensely, practice more, commit more to my instrument, push myself and work my brain while at the same time learning the most sublime, the most spiritual, the most amazing and glorious music for violin ever composed.  I've always been in awe of this piece, always seen it as a musical Mt. Everest, a mountain only climbed by virtuosos.  No, you don't need to be a virtuoso to play this piece.  You only need heart and commitment and desire.  I would like to attempt this.

Slow at work today, so I listened to some favorite interpretations.  Of course, I first went to the gold standard, Heifetz, who makes everything look so easy.


I also listened to Nathan Milstein, another oldie but goodie, whose comments about his own playing and approach to Bach really touched me:


Fabio Biondi only has a master clip of his Chaconne interpretation, but it's enough to know why he's the baroque violin Heifetz of his generation (IMHO):


James Enhes's performance is so cool and controlled:


And Midori's is so passionate and thoughtful:


Then there's this performance by Gidon Kremer, whom I've always loved and who actually kind of brought me to tears:


I also loved loved loved this interpretation by Nemanja Radulovic:


I pulled out my Bach Sonatas and Partitas from a box that's been in my garage for years.  I studied Bach Partita No. 3 in college, so it's not like I can't play these things.  I would need to take lessons again, and develop certain technical skills I never learned earlier in life.  I can do that.  There are passages I can already play, but the most demanding passages will take a while, years maybe.  And my whole approach to my instrument would need to change.  I will need to learn how to relax my left hand, especially when playing double-stops.  But that would be the challenge.  Good for my brain for sure!

Another piece I would love to learn is the Biber Passacaglia:


This is also simply heavenly...


I'm glad I'm playing again and allowing the power of music to flow through me.  This is my therapy during such troubled, shocking, disheartening times.

No comments:

Post a Comment