Day - 1647

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Up at 7 and off to Starbucks on 9th & Irving and Arizmendi for muffins and mochas until 9.  I washed our cars, then we took off to May's for lunch and a conversation about our Japan trip.  She's going with a group of friends and family in October for two weeks.

In the afternoon, I went to the library and checked out some music books.


It's time to get going on a new draft of La Stravaganza and Orianna Oh!'s character development.  I see her as a world-renowned musical phenomenon who came from the classical music world as a Yehudi Menuhin-type prodigy, but also developed into a pop music icon with a golden voice reminiscent of Karen Carpenter.  She'll be the Taylor Swift queen who fuels the high-octane obsessions for her fan (OriOh!s, aka Oreos, aka Oh!Oh!s).  Finally, we'll have a novel that gives proper credit to music's original teen heartthrob and undisputed kick-ass rocker of his day...Antonio Vivaldi.  I like that I have not one but two sociopaths in this book.  The thing about sociopaths is they always keep things interesting, unpredictable, and thoroughly American.  America is an easy playground for sociopaths to thrive.

Started the Life of Beethoven and Absolutely on Music, the conversation between Haruki Marakami (whose novel The Wind-up Bird Chronicles I'm halfway through) and Seiji Ozawa discussing various recordings of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto (my favorite), Bernstein, Karajan, Glenn Gould, etc.  So interesting!

Gone is a non-fiction book about a virtuoso violinist who loses her priceless violin.  Kim Gordon is from Sonic Youth.  I'm sure there will be a few nuggets I can use in this read.  Joe Strummer's bio...I can't wait to read this.  As time passes, The Clash become more and more timeless.  Pirate at the Party is about another violinist, who's also a performance artist.  Half a Million Strong is a Gina Around book about crowd and fans.  The Artists Who Will Change the World is an art book about up-and-coming visual artists.  I didn't recognize any names here.

I checked out the Schumann biography that I was about 70 pages into several months ago.  I need to finish this because I can see Ori Oh! being a 21st Century Clara Schumann.  Listen Up! is a book by sound engineer Mark Howard.  Ed Sheeran is a picture book about Ed and his rise to world-wide fame.  I don't know much of his music beyond what he did with Taylor Swift.  Bowie is a picture book of photo shoots from the 70s.  I should have picked up the Neil Young bio, but must have left it on the shelf.  That's the bio I really want to read.

I spend all day reading after we came back from May's.  Austin is in New York this week, so Alice and I had a late dinner, then to bed by 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment