Day 425

Friday, March 14, 2014

"You are who you are raised by."
Sarah Paulson on her character Mrs. Epps

I fight that quote every day.  Richard Y and I are going to lunch and I'm really looking forward to hanging out with someone.  I've been in my cave all week, writing, revising, and trying to figure out how a book like this gets written.  TC is quite an involved, layered little book with so many balls in the air.  As much as I'd like it to be something NY is used to, I have a feeling this is just another weird mg novel they won't know what to do with, other than pass it on to someone else.  I'm reading a book right now that is all about the top storytelling influences of the past ten years of my life.


I checked it out of the library and can't stop reading it.  It's so well written and tells a great story of all the great HBO, Showtime and other cable shows of the past 14 years, TV's latest golden age.  From The Wire to Mad Men to Dexter, the pacing of these shows and the different layers of meaning and action that keep the story moving forward have really influenced my storytelling sensibilities.

"The show [the Sopranos] had hit the rare sweet spot of mass appeal and critical respect.  It could, as the cliched analysis had it, be enjoyed on "two different levels": for its visceral pleasures (the plot twists, the malapropisms, the blood, the sex) or for its literary ones.  More accurately, it could be enjoyed in both ways simultaneously, the pleasure residing in the tension between reveling in the culture and the artistry of the critique.  The result was an out-and-out phenomenon."

No comments:

Post a Comment