Day 41

Saturday, February 23, 2013


Sam emailed me today after over three months of silence.   He actually sent a very thoughtful and appropriate email apologizing for the long wait and keeping me in such a lurch, which I really appreciated.  He was as dismayed and frustraited as I was about the goose egg from Julia Milan.  I'd asked him if there were more than the twelve rejections he'd initially sent me last year.  There were eight more, which was really unfortunate.  One editor liked the book but couldn't convince her board to go along with it.  Across the board, Julia was one big pass.  That is really sad because that's sort of how I put stories together.  Needless to say, my confidence is shaken. 

Sam has also found the YA market a bit perplexing, so he has wished me well in cracking the YA nut.  We've parted on good terms, which is how it's supposed to be. 

Martin Martinez is now in query mode; however, I'm worried no one will pick this book up.  I'm not good at positioning novels for a particular audience.  If you write for everyone, you may end up writing for no one. 

I'm now under a great deal of pressure to get something going.  I'm really very surprised that Julia didn't sell, but then again, I understand that my take on things is limited and perhaps a little unusual.  It's certainly not the norm, that I know. 

Alice and I hung out at her house today.  We went shopping for tomorrow's Oscar party.  I'm in total work mode these days.  I have a few months before I have to make a decision about finances.  I will make that decision eventually, but with a few months of income I can perhaps knock out a project or two.  Austin15 will be a top priority.  True Colors Detective Agency may be a good stab at hitting the middle grade market.  I may have to fasttrack all these projects.  If I've learned anything from Julia Milan, it's simply not worthwhile to perfect a novel that won't get picked up anyway.  Productivity and speed are now what's most important.  Forget about quality, at least for time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment