Day 1000

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Spent the day at Alice's writing all day while Alice is recovering from a nasty bug that's shut her down.  Poor Alice.  I spent all day revising chapter 1.  I want to get the sound of this chapter right before wrapping up the first draft of the whole book.  It's coming along.  There are aspects of the story that I really enjoy.  It reminds me of my summer in Bellingham in 1980 as a 16-year-old embracing the world as a young adult, alive with new ideas and a healthy addiction to the music of Vivaldi.  That's what La Stravaganza brings up for me.

This was a fast 1,000 days.  I realize I need another 1,000 days to get where I need to go.  I've really grown to enjoy the writing process and now have no trouble writing ten hours every day.  Banging out 3,000-5,000 words of new material isn't nearly as difficult as it once was.  That's an accomplishment of sorts.

Of the first thousand days of writing, I probably wrote full-time maybe 500-600 of those days.  The rest was spent working, going on cruises with Alice, and reading/relaxing/living.  I wrote three novels and had one book submitted for consideration but not picked up.  I'm looking forward to the next thousand days, what ends up getting written and where the journey takes me.  It's nice to know that when all is said and done, making up stories and creating characters are what I truly enjoy.  More than reading.  More than watching movies.  More than playing cards and swinging a racquetball racquet.  Making things up is better than just about anything.

In the evening, Alice and I watched two documentaries, a Joshua Bell masterclass and another foodie doc called Three Plates Spinning.


This was a fabulous 40 minutes of music making.  I love how beautifully and expressively Joshua Bell performs Bach.  The Mendelssohn String Quintet was a real highlight.


Alice and I have seen several culinary documentaries.  Chefs are impressive to me. They're workaholics and perfectionists.  Though the 3-star Michelin environment seems crazy to me, I can certainly appreciate the creativity and performance aspects of these dining experiences.  I'd love to check out the Iowa restaurant featured in this film.  Now that's my kind of place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment