Day 186

Friday, July 19, 2013

Woke up at 5, played racquetball until 6:30, had breakfast, then wrote from 8-4.  Got ready for my match at 6 against Alex.

Still revising ZC before moving on to II.  Chapters 11-15 are weaker than I'd like.  All they need are a few more "spy-in-training" moments and some of the gadgets mentioned in the CIA Trickery book.  I'll go over chapters 20-40 this weekend and fit in the re-writes when I can.

I watched a couple of reality tv shows, TLC's Addicted and TLC's Sarah Palin's Alaska, which I didn't realize was produced by Mark Burnett.  I'm envisioning a 100,000-word novel for II, or around 400 pages.  An easy, entertaining read that's just edgy enough to be topical.  We'll see.  Reality shows take on a particular form that works very well in a show like Addicted, but not so well in a show like Sarah Palin's Alaska.  That show is horribly flat and ultimately very boring.  There's nothing boring about Addicted; however, it's very voyeuristic. 

Introducing Girls...I'd like to get that the entire revision on paper and get it out there so see if there's any interest.  Martin Martinez is such a tough sell, but maybe I should give that work a try, too.

The key to II's success is its structure.  I haven't quite figured it out yet and probably won't until a few set pieces are written.  The more prepare for it, the more I can't wait to get going on this interesting story.

Played Alex at 6 and beat him 15-4, 15-10.  Went over to Alice's after and had R&G Beef.  Fell asleep by 10.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment