Day 183

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Aside from one agent who I have some history with, I've received only rejections from my query so far.  All form letters and all saying the same thing...not for them.

So I consulted one of my favorite resources to pick me up:


I bought this book for $.50 at a used book sale about 10 years ago.  I love it.  It's so full of great ideas and strategies.  This morning, I read chapter 15, "Handling Failure and Rejection."  It's about 14 pages long and has such great advice to keep me going.  What might have been a wasted day filled with anxiety and frustration turned into another exciting day marked by optimism and enthusiasm. 

One of my favorite lines is this one:  "I'm not judged by the number of times I fail but by the number of times I succeed.  And the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I can fail and keep trying."  That's so solid.

So is this:

1.  I never see failure as failure, but only as a learning experience.
2.  I never see failure as failure, but only as the negative feedback I need in order to change my direction.
3.  I never see failure as failure, but only as the opportunity to develop my sense of humor.
4.  I never see failure as failure, but only as the opportunity to practice my techniques and perfect my performance.
5.  I never see failure as failure, but only as the game I must play to win.

I especially like # 4.  Sending out query after query has really helped me nail that brief, difficult business document.

I spent a few hours in the afternoon revising my query and shortening chapter one.  The book is what it is.  Once all my queries are out and the novel is revised to my satisfaction, I'll finish writing Introducing Girls and get Intervention Island off the ground.

It's amazing how quickly 14 hours flies by when enthusiasm is fueling the work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment