Day 1479

Thursday, February 2, 2017

I’m an immigrant.  I came to this country at five with my family.  I had a green card until my senior year of high school.  I thought nothing of it at the time.  I was never targeted, never made to feel less than.  Now it's all different.  Being an immigrant is somehow something to feel ashamed of.  What's shameful is the disgraceful language of our current president, who targets and accuses immigrants for things they haven't done and most likely never will do.  It's stirring up imagined fear, something nationalists and demagogues are notoriously guilty of.  There are terrorists and destructive individuals everywhere.  Immigrants form who we are in this country, just as in Canada.  Syrians who’ve lost everything deserve a new place to live. How we can turn our back on them goes against everything this country is supposed to stand for.  Canada is the new America.  What we're witnessing with the Trump presidency is a rejection of leadership, strength and courage.  Instead, we have fear, suspicion, meanness, cruelty, and insanity at the helm.  Deplorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment