Day 311

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Up at 4:30, gym at 5.  Ran for 30 minutes and practiced backhand and forehand.  I've been feeling good on the racquetball court this week, moving better and hitting with more accuracy.  I hope I can keep it up.

Wrote from 7:30-11.  There are five strategies I'm weaving into Zombie Cookies:  1) be your own best friend, 2) find power in numbers, 3) use able adults as backup, 4) make yourself unavailable for bullying, and 5) set firm boundaries. 

The angle I can see talking about at schools involves the voice in a student's head that can at times be very critical and abusive, especially when someone's having a bad day.  That voice sometimes acts like a bully instead of a best friend.  It's important to pay attention to that voice and make sure it is being encouraging and supportive rather than aggressively critical and mean.  Too often, people become their own bully, which sets up an unconscious dynamic for outsiders to join in and undermine their self-esteem.  Some of the extreme bully stories I've been reading about are very sad.  I can only imagine what these kids who took their own life were saying to themselves as they bought into the propaganda of their own self worth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment