Day 899

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Up at 2:30, wrote for 90 minutes before heading off to the gym.  There was an excellent turnout this morning and we all got some great games in.  I had a chance to play singles with Steve and that was fun.  We split two and by the end of our play I was done.

I worked from 9-2 and business has started to pick up with a mini focus group scheduled for mid-July.  After work, I went to ActiveSports and spoke with our club manager David about some of the issues facing our gym, both in housekeeping and capital improvements that haven't been addressed in years.  I like David and look forward to seeing these issues addressed.  Our meeting lasted 80 minutes.

Once I was home, I spent another two hours revising the middle movement of No. 3.  As these early chapters are being composed, I'm developing my ideas for the story and seeing how to establish a clear need for Mindy to seek out other music beyond her Swiftie universe.   What's great about Vivaldi is how nicely it compliments contemporary pop music, but at the same time it's so other-worldly and foreign to the pop ear.  Tinging La Stravaganza with an emotional mysticism, a natural anti-depressant that generates happiness, is another way to build up the notion that Mindy has incorporated these pieces into her life.  For me, these pieces always make me happy and I never get bored with them.  I can only listen to the Brandenburg Concertos and Handel's Op. 6 for so long before I need to move on, but with Vivaldi's La Stravaganza, I can listen indefinitely, a distinction that I find powerful and meaningful.

Any tool to numb the pain of high school is a tool worth promoting.  Vivaldi is one of the best tools out there and so few teenagers are aware of it.  The thing about Vivaldi is he wrote for teenage girls. Not just any teenage girl, but orphans.  This is something I've never fully appreciated in his music until now.  He was the Taylor Swift of his day, and 300 years later, his magic still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment