Day 865

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Instead of going into the gym this morning, I woke up at 5:30 determined to finish up the last of my blog entries.  They took a long time to organize and post.  Work from 9-2, then after work I spent a few more hours writing and rereading Seymour Hersh's jarring bin Laden article.  I read the whole thing carefully.  The strange thing about this article is how much of it makes a lot of sense.

Hersh Article

What always troubled me about the "official" narrative of the bin Laden raid was how gutsy it was, how dangerous and risky it all seemed to be, given what had happened so many years ago when Carter tried to rescue the hostages in Iran and failed.  Hersh's narrative solves that problem.  I'm still waiting for evidence disputing Hersh's claims.  I wonder if we'll ever hear any.  I wonder what Obama will say when asked to speak about the Hersh article.  Either the White House version is true, or Hersh's article is true.  It's hard to find middle ground here because the two versions are so different.

There's a larger story here though, one that Edward Snowden voiced when he hightailed it to Hong Kong.  It's the mainstream media and how accommodating they are to the power brokers in D.C.  After Hersh explained the details of his piece on Chris Hayes's all in, NBC Foreign Affairs correspondent Andrea Mitchell responds to Hersh's article.  She can't imagine her sources at the CIA and White House intentionally steered her in the wrong direction.  She disputes Hersh's story because the power brokers told her something different.   What Seymour Hersh is saying is that the power brokers' story is full of lies because Obama said details in his speech to the nation about bin Laden's death that weren't cleared by the national security team, prompting the necessity for a new narrative to cover the president's tracks.

Very little new information has come out about this story, as if the power brokers are hoping it conveniently goes away.  I'm keeping my eye on it, as it appears to me that Seymour Hersh is onto something significant here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment