Day 692

Saturday, December 6, 2014

I woke up at 6, then had breakfast with Dorian, with ended up also being breakfast with Ron, Xavier and his son.  We talked about race issues and the Eric Garner choking death until noon.  Xavier said some parts of the system, like profiling, aren't broken, they're false.  D, Ron and X have all been profiled before.  D has had a police gun pointed to his head twice in his life.  All I could do was listen, having never been profiled or assaulted.  I appreciated the conversations this morning.  X said it best; the Garner death was indefensible, and if the police acted in accordance to the law, which he believes they did not, then then the laws need to change.  That means getting the Attorney General involved.  Something will happen, hopefully.  If Mohamed Bouazizi was responsible for Arab Spring, then Eric Garner may have triggered American Autumn.

Attended an SCBWI mixer this afternoon, which was so-so.  I didn't have much energy left to talk because I'd talked and listened so much in the morning, so I left early and headed over to Alice's in the city.  Today went so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment