Day 530

Friday, June 27, 2014

I spent all day in San Francisco at a focus group conducting a mock jury for Howard.  It was interesting.  I was allowed to watch one of the finest attorneys in the country present his case.  He's a great storyteller.  That's really what a great trial lawyer does.  He told a simple, clear story that was so much more effective than the other junior attorney, who had no focus and visual image to work with.  The partner told his story a few times using different scenarios.  They were all simple and easy to follow.  That's the challenge, telling a simple story and taking out all the hard work for the jurors.  It's no different in the writing world where all the tangled ideas and difficult concepts are made clear and simple.  The best stories do that.  I'm not a fan of complicated stories that force readers to work out all the problems on their own.  Some readers may like that, but I don't.  If I don't understand something, I blame it on the writer.

I came home at 7 and went to bed at 8:30.  I was so tired at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment