Day 527

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Woke up at 6, took care of to-do list items, then went to work from 9-12:30.  Came home and had a one-hour conversation with Sharon about True Colors Detective Agency.  She and her partner Ella Marie want the book divided into three novels that targets early readers (8-12-year-olds).  Because the protagonists are 5th graders, that's where the audience needs to be.  She had excellent notes and suggestions for me and said I could probably keep most of what I already have, or save some of the rougher, more questionable stuff for later in the series if the book takes off.  She liked all the Lani Shengxiao imagery and had never seen that before.  It was a productive conversation and had already gotten me thinking about the next draft.  Instead of having Mrs. Strauss die, they'd like Mrs. Strauss to go missing and the girls end up finding her in the end. That's fine.  I'll do whatever they want to get things going.

Sharon's colleague is Ella Marie, who's the creative force behind Sharon's agency.  I'll send Julia Milan to her and get her thoughts so that we can sent that manuscript out to Yolanda.  After a wonderful rest this month, I'm ready to hit the ground running in July with lots of projects.

After our conversation, I went back to work for 90 minutes, then came home and read.  It's been such a great month doing nothing but reading.  I wish I could read for an entire year without doing anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment