Day 519

Monday, June 16, 2014

I woke up at 7 and left Alice's at 7:30.  We took MUNI to Montgomery Street Station and I took BART and 58L home.  I was so tired I didn't even unpack.  I had to string a racquet for my finals match that night, so I took care of that, then got ready for work.  I left the apartment at 1:20 and worked at Wendel from 2-6.

My Club One Finals Match was at 6:30 against Carlos Mansilla, a strong player who hits the ball harder than anyone else in the league.  I was tired and not mentally prepared at the beginning of our match and it showed.  I lost the first game badly 4-15.  I was sluggish and still felt the weight of all those Oasis of the Seas desserts around my midsection.  I changed shirts, gathered up whatever energy I had, and did everything I could to play better in game 2.  I did play better and we were even throughout most of the second game.  I was up 9-7 when he took his first timeout.  I felt better but was still making a lot of mistakes and mental errors.  Carlos was slowly beginning to wear down, so I decided to continue sticking it to him with drive serves and cross-court passing shots.  I ended up winning the second game 15-12.  In the tiebreaker, Carlos imploded, making lots of mistakes and missing key shots.  He was tired.  I won the tiebreaker 11-1 and took the title for the first time in two years.  It was particularly satisfying because most of the players in the league are ten years younger than I am.  It was an ugly win, but a win nonetheless.

Reclaiming the title after a two-year absence
I went home totally exhausted.  I spoke with Alice on FaceTime for 20 minutes, then went right to bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment