Day - 1430

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Spent the morning practicing, cleaning up, organizing, and practicing a little more before our afternoon concert.  I had the music down, but the tempos we're playing the Amy Beach is challenging.  The Britten tempos are also a bit precarious.

Just as I was about to leave for the church, Dorian called me with the devastating news that Kobe Bryant had died in a helicopter accident.

That will be a profound news story similar to Di and JFK Jr.'s deaths.  I didn't follow Kobe but followed basketball enough to know his importance and influence.  When such leaders die in the prime of their life, it reminds us all of the fleeting fragile nature of life.  It can go just like that, without warning, for anyone.  No one's immune.

Off to the concert, which went well, enough though the first movement of the Amy Beach was conducted at breakneck speed.  I couldn't play many of the hardest passages because we were going too fast.  But I was able to play most of the Britten, all of the Vaughn Williams and most of the Beach mov'ts 3 and 4.

After the concert, I went to FlipSide for dinner.  I relaxed the rest of the night.  Looking forward to playing Beethoven's 2nd next concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment