Day 1517

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Left LA at 5:30 a.m., stopping for gas, mocha, and a few minutes of rest along the way.  Listened to another five or six chapters of The Signature of All Things.  I’m still in awe of the writing and expansive dimensions of this work.  Once I arrived homed, I checked to see how much more of the book I had left.  I was thinking I was nearing the end.  Of no.  I wasn’t even halfway through!  I was both surprised and delighted.  I didn’t want the novel to end.  I downloaded a copy on Kindle to experience passages in my head.  What a glowing masterpiece.  I listened to another chapter before unpacking, then met Lisa at La Parisienne on Grand Ave. to catch up for 40 minutes or so.  We talked about life, marriage, Ari, all the things we’ve talked about all these years.  I’ve seen her four children grow up to become such amazing and articulate young adults.  We had lattes and shared a delicious chocolate pastry that was dense with all the things I need to reign in.  The older I get, the more I love food and less discipline I have to say no to such things, especially at cafes in the afternoon. After we said our goodbyes, I headed to Trader Joe’s for ingredients to make the best damn chili recipe I made for the Super Bowl.  I chopped and opened and poured everything into a giant pot while cleaning up a bit.  In need of a few minutes to watch something on TV while eating, I noticed the People v. OJ Simpson mini-series was now on.  I had no desire to watch it, but the positive buzz was so strong that I was curious to see how the series began.  So I watched.  And watched.  I couldn’t’ stop watching.  I can see why it generated such praise.  Everything about it is excellent.  The acting is superb, the writing tight and believable.  I may have to watch it all, even though I have no time for a mini-series right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment