Day 616

Sunday, September 21, 2014

I woke up at 7:15, had breakfast, then rented a Citi Bike for the day.  I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge and rode to the World Trade Center to see if I could get into the museum without purchasing a ticket beforehand.  I walked up to the ticket counter and got right in at 9.  I stayed a little under 3 hours.  The museum is designed to immerse viewers back to that horrible day.  Everything came back to me.  Because we were all New Yorkers that day, the experience was very personal and emotional.  I felt everything as I walked through the exhibit.  I'd forgotten about the posters and signs of missing loved ones.  I can never quite come to terms with the enormity of the devastation and the diabolical nature of the attacks.  There's a lot of wreckage, discovered personal items, ruined fire engines, pieces of the tower, documents, film footage, shoes, signs, historic film of the creation and history of the World Trade Center, and personal stories of all 2,997 people who died from the 9/11 attacks and 1993 bombings.

Around 11, I had french toast at the Blue Planet Grill, and that was really good.  I rode a bike back to Brooklyn and spent the afternoon with Nikki, Glenn Friedman's daughter who writes for the Wall Street Journal.  Brooklyn is very cool, a lot like Oakland, only bigger.

In the evening I had dinner with Chad at Grimaldi's and ate a large pepperoni pizza with mushrooms and onions while watching the Seahawks/Broncos game.

A great tourist day, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment