Day 123

Friday, May 17, 2013

Played a few hours of my monthly neighborhood poker game last night and took home $80, really from two hands, one that needed a little luck, and one that didn't need much more than a willing caller.  So I slept in until 7 and started writing at 7:30.

A productive morning so far.  Sent chapter 23 to Chris.  Not much happens in this chapter, but there is a paragraph I like that I wrote a couple of weeks ago and found a spot to include:

     Of course, I knew what sex was, but didn’t really get why grownups got so bent out of shape over it and acted like it was such a big deal.  As I gazed at the stars that formed the constellation Pegasus just above my head, I wondered if any girl would want to do things with me when I was a grownup.  It worried me that I might end up being alone.  Back when I was in the fourth grade I watched March of the Penguins and worried that I would be one of those lone penguins who didn’t end up with anyone and had no young chick.  I worried about that for weeks and didn’t want to grow up because of it.  If I was going to be alone all my life, I had to prepare for it and not feel so bad about my fate.  Dad once told me that losing mom would always be with me and sometimes throw my confidence out of whack, but it would also bring me strength when times were tough and carry me through whatever challenge faced me.  I wanted that to be true with girls.  I didn’t want to be that lone penguin waddling off by himself because no other penguin appreciated who he was.
     I thought about Kendra, mom, space, Command and Conquer, Ben & Jerry’s Peanut Butter Cup, baseball practice and the genius of Galileo before it occurred to me that it was almost one o’clock and there was still no sign of Kendra.  She wasn’t coming and I came up with a new term.  Penguined.
     I've been penguined, I said to myself on the way home...


Wrote until 3, then went over to Alice's.  Was hoping to send chapter 24, but didn't finish.  Tomorrow, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment