Day 91

Monday, April 15, 2013

Tax Day.  I spent the morning with Chris.  Nicole left around 10:30 or so.  Mom took Craig to a doctor's appointment.  Chris and I picked up shipping boxes at Home Depot (I needed three to send my things to Oakland).  We stopped off at a fencing store, then had lunch downtown.  He gave me some good pointers on my zombie story.  After lunch, I picked up some banana bread and wine and headed off to Steve and Judy's in Sudden Valley. 

I stayed from 2-9.  The visit was extremely enjoyable.  Both Steve and Judy have had some really tough health issues these past few months.  Steve had several lymph nodes removed from the prostate cancer that had returned, and Judy had been taking radiation treatments for her leukemia.  They were both doing much better now.

Steve and I talked went through Grandma Hagan's photo albums.  She has about 15 of them from 1929-1975.  Combined, they create an amazing array of pictures from her life.  It's amazing to see pictures of her at 12.  It's another example of the relentless passage of time and how quickly things come to an end.  Steve talked about his days in Nelson in the large house.  Ruby had mentioned how similar my Mom and Dad are and why they could never find a proper balance when together.  I can see that, though I think Dad was ultimately much more problematic than Mom.

We had a wonderful chicken and rice dish for dinner that included more stories.  There is a different dynamic at play that exists in Judy and Steve's family but mine.  They and the triplets seem more balanced and less inclined to fly off the handle.  When I think of myself, Gwen and Jill, I can't help but think how extreme we are in our behavior and how we constantly need to monitor ourselves and bring down our emotions. 

Everyone in my family is getting older. 

It was a wonderful day with Judy and Steve. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment