Day - 1291

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Today got away from me.  Our racquetball conversation with Glenn, Dorian, Tiger, Xavier, Ron, Steve, Jamil, Ari, Robbie and me was at 5 and I decided to make two batches of cookies.  I went to Safeway at 7:30 a.m. and got the ingredients I needed.  I made the cookies in the afternoon, but had to take plenty of work-related calls.  I finished baking at 3:30 and left my apartment at 4:50.  I arrived at Steve's at exactly 5.  We started around 5:15.  Steve has a great backyard setup and we all gathered together while social distancing, sharing stories and reflecting upon the events of the past two weeks.  It was a very positive, very informative, very inspiring conversation about race, white privilege, and the country we live in.  X said he's experienced more racism in California than in the South because it's so hidden here.  Whereas the South had to atone for its past, California hasn't had to atone for anything.  He had several interesting points to make.  Ari shared how frustated he felt the first year he arrived here beause he was failing as a teacher and not connecting with the students.  He had to rethink how to connect.  Glenn didn't know what he didn't know, but was ready to begin his journey learning more about race and the privilege that was sometimes not easy to see.  Robbie had a few Army stories to share, but said the Army protected him.  We all ordred dinner for ourselves, but Steve had beverages ready.  It was a nice evening that lasted until 7:30.

When I got home, I watched the documentary 13th.  I'd seen clips but not the entire film.  Very good.  I like that it's generated the kind of following it has.


It's only been a few years since Birth of a Nation has been discussed as a racist revisionist propoganda tool of the early 20th Century to promote white virtues at the expense of black evil.  That's a fairly new thing.  Before, say, 15 years ago, Birth of a Nation was revered for its technical brilliance and cinematic mastery.  It would be interesting to visit earlier film books to see how the film was talked about in the 30s-90s.

Love this article in the NY Times re LeBron James and other stars getting involved in this year's election.  LeBron James Voting Rights Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment