Day - 1287

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Last night I watched Mandingo, a film from 1975 about a black slave fighter named Mene who lives on a slave breeding plantation and endures all sorts of unimaginable horrors before eventually being boiled to death in a caldroun of water. 


Venisa at work mentioned the film to me.  She said her great-grandmother, who remembered that time as a young girl, found the film accurate. 

It was something watching such a brutle depiction of slavery from a 1970s production.  It had more in common with Ten Years a Slave than Gone With the Wind.  Perhaps it will experience the opposite effect of what Gone With the Wind is currently facing.  I read Roger Ebert's 1975 review of this film and it's very a interesting read:  Roger Ebert's Review of Mandingo 

I went to bed around 2 and woke up around 8:30. 

After a few chores and items around the house, I spent the rest of the afternoon on Grandudes.  I need to make this script a priority.  There's so much left to be done.  Scenes 5-7 have been on my to-do list since last week.  Reimagining some of the details is tricky. 

For dinner, Alice made her absolutely delicious chicken katsu dish.  I just gobbled it up it was so good!



No comments:

Post a Comment