Day - 1774

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Left the house in SF at 4 a.m. and flew into Phoenix at 9:30.  Took an Uber to mom's and arrived around 10:30.  Staying at mom's is like arriving at the best five-star hotel.  Her place is always so nice and clean and wonderful.  Then there's the jacuzzi, which is the best ten minutes of any day!  Her Nespresso machine and frother are also favorites.  I made two lattes today (with a splash of chocolate).  We played some crib, watched half of Roma, then had a few of mom's friends over at 4:30.  We ended up playing cards (Hand in Foot) until 10 p.m. They love this game.  It's a little like Canasta with simple rules and a high degree of luck-of-the-draw.  We played five-handed with Gene, Jamie and Nancy.  It's a fun game with an ounce of strategy and liters of luck.

I was surprised to hear Roma is the new darling of the Academy this year.  I haven't finished yet (mom's already seen it, so I'll watch the rest when I'm home), but I found my mind wandering and even closed my eyes a few times.  The pacing is deliberate and reminiscent of all those art house films made in the '60s that I watched in college back in the '80s.  It's beautifully shot, but a little too slow for me.


After cards, we watched The Wife.


Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce give two fantastic performances.  I enjoyed this story of a giant writer who wins the Nobel Prize but must come to terms with the fundamental truth of his oeuvre.  Close may win her much-deserved Oscar this year.

What a great day in Maracopa!

No comments:

Post a Comment