Day - 1766

Sunday, February 24, 2019



I practiced an hour or so before we left for Oakland.  We had lunch at Lin Jia, which is always so good.  Alice watched HGTV while I got ready for the concert.  I took bus 29 to the church and made it by 3.  Warming up was fine.  The actual concert was very good.  Everyone played well and there were no inadvertent solos.  This concert was really fun with very playable music.  I'm not sure the next concert will be so carefree.  I've taken a peek at the music and it's really hard.

After the concert, we went with Richard, Lisa and Sophie to Rhonda and Biff's to watch the Oscars.  We arrived an hour or so after the show had begun.  Glenn Close not winning was probably the biggest surprise of all.  She deserves an Oscar but hasn't won one yet.  Instead, the Best Actress Oscar went to Olivia Colman.  She was excellent in The Favourite, but Best Actress?  Okay, no problem.  I wouldn't have guessed it, but she was mighty good.  I did enjoy that film.

Watching Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper together made me wish I'd seen A Star is Born.  The film slipped away for me.  Not enough time.  I'll see it this month. 

I'll have to watch the first hour tomorrow to get a sense of the show.  It seemed a bit dull.  Oh, yes, I guess Best Actor was a bit of a surprise, too.  Rami Malek won.  I thought he was great, but in such a strong field, I would have predicted Viggo Mortensen, Christian Bale, or (though a longshot but I loved the performance) Willem Defoe. 

A long evening indeed.  After the show, Alice and I drove back to SF.  

No comments:

Post a Comment