Day 1925

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Up at 6:30 and at In-Shape by 7:30.  The facility is a special place and has been home to so many years worth of world-class raquetball competition.  I reffed an A Singles match between 65-year-old Ray, who's something of an iron man, and a young Jesse Rojas, who was 15 minutes late for his match and playing as if he were still asleep.  Ray easily won in 2.  I reffed one more match before my first singles match at noon.  I played a young, fit opponent named Whitney and beat him handily in the first game 15-5.  He played much better in the second game and took it 12-15.  It was 12-12, but he ran off three quick points.  In the tie-breaker, it was back and forth but I started to get fatigued and began missing shots.  I lost 6-12. I was disappointed to get knocked out so early, but I played well and lost to a very smart, very good opponent who really came alive in the last two games.  He might have made the finals but wasn't able to play his semi-final match tomorrow and had to forfeit.

My elite doubles match with Tyrone was tough.  The players we met up with were smart, hit hard and put everything away.  T and I couldn't do much and couldn't get things going.  We lost in two, 11-6, 11-5.  I did manage to win one match today with Sam S. as my partner in Men's A Doubles.  We came from behind in the second game to win 15-14 and move on the next day.

I stayed at In-Shape until 10 or so.  It was a full day of racquetball.  I watched many of the top JV players do their thing.  So impressive!  John Ellis runs the best tournaments in the country.  They're so organized and full of such great players.  

No comments:

Post a Comment