Day 639

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I woke up at 7:30 and went to work at Wendel from 9-1.  I then came home and read Dorian's articles.  We talked for an hour, discussing some of the questions I had.  He sent more information and a video clip of a Parish Council meeting he attended in March, 2012.  I'm not sure there was any way his project would have gotten off the ground.  I'm talking with a few of the players who were there when the project first arrived at the Council office back in 2010.  It's funny how many angles a story has and how difficult it can sometimes be to extract the truth from a story.  Sometimes stories have many layers and finding the thread that carries the most weight takes a lot of time and patience, as well as reading between the lines.  I think about the various narratives that come with history.  Take for instance the Iraq War in 2003.  I wonder how the history books will portray that war fifty years from now.  I hope history mentions how a group of ideologues who were part of this grand master vision called the Project for a New American Century wanted to bring democracy to the Middle East and used 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq, even though millions of citizens around the world protested their bogus reasons for doing so.  Saddam Hussein was an amoral dictator, but when we went in there and did what we did, making the mistakes that we made, we opened up a Pandora's Box that is now called ISIS.  What will it be called five or ten years from now.  For those people who love war and bombs and destruction, this is all playing out very nicely.  The military industrial complex is alive and well in America.  I don't know if I'll ever get over that horrendous, horrendous decision to invade Iraq.     

No comments:

Post a Comment