Day 634

Thursday, October 9, 2014

I met Dorian this morning and talked about his project that takes place in Livingston Parish, LA.  It's the story of a town that turned away $400 million in federal funding due to one man's ability to manipulate the community into believing all that money was going toward a Section 8 housing project.  It's a story of race, fear, blindness and the legacies we leave behind.  In working with Dorian on his story, I've been thinking a lot about race myself.  I'm kicking around an essay tentatively titled "Inside the Mind of an American White Male When Talking About Race."  It's a perspective that isn't written about too much, but my experience so many years ago with the PBS documentation has allowed me to see things most white males don't see and deny.  The race conversation has deteriorated these past few years, illustrating the notion that for every couple of steps forward, there's always a couple steps backward.  Dorian has a great story to tell.  I hope I can figure out a way to tell it well.

Worked at Varinsky and Wendel today, then went to Active Sports with the new E-Force Demo bag full of nine new racquets.  I hit with most of them.  They're great, especially the new Apocalypse.  The only downside is their quite pricey at $250+.

No comments:

Post a Comment