Day 395

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Steve and I have had some fierce games lately.  We're both getting better and better.  It's a challenge beating him these days.  I squeaked out a victory today.  He's so fast and tall.

Wrote, worked, wrote.  True Colors all the way. 

In the evening, I watched The Master.


I'm watching every Philip Seymour Hoffman film.  I mean, why not.  He's so amazing in everything he does, and this film is no exception.  I appreciate how beautifully filmed and acted The Master is, but it's not what I would call an enjoyable film.  Joaquin Phoenix is also amazing here, but his character is not sympathetic, and the ending did not do it for me at all.  Paul Thomas Anderson is an exceptional filmmaker, but his endings are about as satisfying as frogs falling from the skies.  Don't even get me started down that road.  I'm sure there's a lot of hidden brilliance and genius-level message-making going on here, but if it's not obvious enough to a simpleton like me, it won't be obvious to most moviegoers.  I did enjoy watching this film, however, the deliberate pace, camera shots, and the utter strangeness of it.  Very very different.  Very adult and sophisticated.  But $30 million to make it?  Wow, there's some deep-pocket love for Paul Thomas Anderson somewhere on planet earth.  He's a total showoff, but he knows how to frame a scene and draw great performances from his actors.  A haunting, lyrical, exceptional film.

No comments:

Post a Comment