Day 349

Saturday, December 28, 2013

I woke up around 10:30 and felt dreadful.  I had a sore throat and no voice.  I still had the chills from the night before.  Nicole came over around 11 and we were planning to go to lunch together.  I took a shower, which helped me feel better, and we went out to Purple in Woodinville.  We had a great meal and an amazing conversation.  Nicole told me all about her 3.5-week family trip to Europe last summer.  I hadn't really heard any stories from that trip.  All I knew was that it was a very difficult trip for everyone.  Nicole's version of the trip was incredible.  It was like experiencing every Eugene O'Neill play at the same time, with scenes full of crazy, highly dysfunctional behavior, high drama, and lots and lots of drinking.  I listened for about 90 minutes to all the details of that trip.  In a way, Nicole and all her family members are still dealing with effects of Europe.  Relationships have changed and everyone's doing what they can to get back on track and reclaim the clarity of their lives while managing the poison of our family, alcohol.  If all of them banished booze from their lives for good, they'd be in far better shape to confront life's unrelenting problems and issues, but most of the players in Nicole's family aren't there yet.  Gwen may be the only one who truly gets it.  Mathew and Tristan are too young.  Nicole's starting to get it, but she may need another five-to-ten years of life experience to truly see the dangers and consequences of this brutal disease in our family. 

After lunch, we went to Starbuck's and talked about all kinds of things.  It was an incredible afternoon of conversation and bonding.  I'm so proud of my niece and the insights and wisdom she brings to the table.  She's a true survivor.  I guess in a way we all are.

After I came home, we all went to the Bellevue Mall and met Tristan, who was working at Johnson and Murphy.  I bought a really nice vest jacket that was originally $156, but was discounted to $35, thanks to a 70% off promotion that Tristan had through his account.  What a deal.  Afterward, we hit a jewelry store where Mathew went shopping for an engagement ring for Rothna.  Talk about overwhelming.  Poor guy.  I'm not sure what the rush is, but Mathew seems intent on getting married in his early 20s.  Having spent the past week with my two sisters and their children, I can't help but feel as if I'm replaying moment of my life from childhood to my twenties.  My nieces and nephews remind me so much of myself back then.  I want to tell them all to relax and take things slow and show them how not to get into their own way, but I know I can't really do that.  They'll have to learn on their own how to get things where they want them to be.  Too bad it takes so long to get there.  This trip, more than any other, has shown me how much I've changed these past few years.  I'm really no longer available for other people's dramas.  They own it, and I can't do much to help them unless they ask for help.  Thing is, they rarely ever ask.  I'm so glad those days of drama are behind me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment