Day - 1819

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

At work, which was slow again and probably will be the rest of the week.  I organized a few files, continued work on my budget for 2019 and Fidelity accounts.  Once I rebalance the portfolio, I won't have to think about my accounts for a while.

After work I met Howard and his son Josh at Star pizza for a rousing political conversation, then off to the Grand Lake Theater to see...


Howard said the reviews have been lukewarm.  Yeah, only from those who thought the Iraq War was a good idea.  I wholeheartedly, enthusiastically support this brilliant, inventive film, and Christian Bale...wow.  Seriously, wow.  What a performance.  He just nails the nuances, the cadences, the grim reaper smirk, the shady, underhanded, quiet evil genius glare of the Veep that was Dick.  The Iraq War was such a colossal, egregious, stupid, insane, monumental and obvious error in judgment, and this film wonderfully positions these idiot fools as the numskulls they will forever be for the rest of time.  I welcome this rendering of their place in history.  I love Vice, loved its inventiveness and playful, weird use of narrative, loved its amazing performances across the board and its outrageous but oh-so-accurate story of a period in time I actually lived through.  American exceptionalism?  Ha!  Only when it comes to exceptional errors in judgment.  I remember when I first heard about the Bush Administration's desire to invade Iraq.  I thought, invade Iraq how?  Invade Iraq why?  Invade Iraq, oh hell no...No no no.  Don't do it fools.  Do not do this foolish moronic insane thing.  I joined peace rallies along with millions of other citizens.  But they didn't listen.  And so they are captured in this film as the foolish idiots they truly are.  That's their legacy and Vice does their legacy a great great great great great service!  Bravo, artists!

Howard loved it, too!  Came home at 10, watched a little news, then called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment