Day 10

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I have a game plan in place for my young adult books and talks with students.  I'm revising Martin Martinez and getting that ready for submission by the end of the month.  I'm almost finished with part one.  I really like this book.  It's a nice overview of the past 13 years of American history.  It gives students some context as to why the two parties are so at odds with each other.

My Introducing Girls revision will be extensive and time consuming, but should yield some curious results.  I like the idea of creating a Mad Men-style story for middle grade readers.  Many kids I know think the '70s are cool.  If only they knew the truth.  Once I create a new outline and structure the story with my major and minor characters I should have this book ready by the spring.  I have no idea what the reaction will be.

I came up with a brand new series for girls age 9-12 called True Colors Detective Agency.  The main character will be a 5th grader who was born in China and adopted by a couple living in Oakland.  I'm working an idea I had a few months ago about a child who can see the true colors of any individual by actually spotting the state of mind of the animal inside them.  Everyone has an animal inside their ribcage.  Some animals are passive and quiet, others are aggressive and ambitious, and others are simply crazy and frenzied.  She has a special gift and helps her father, who's a detective with the Oakland Police Department, solve murders.  Since it's for a young audience, it won't be too graphic, but will feel somewhat real.

No Sweat:  an Elementary Memoir, will be written in spurts and blocks of time.  It's not very commercial, but will certainly be a relief to me when it's on paper.  So much of my source material comes from my childhood.  Writing this book will also help with my 40-minute presentation to classrooms.  I'm going through pictures now.

Julia Milan remains on the sidelines, which is pathetic.  Perhaps after Martin is discovered, movement will occur on Julia so that I can begin books 2 and 3.  The upside is I'm a better writer today than I was in 2010, so perhaps it's all for the good that Julia Milan has taken so long to come out.  Who knows.

Anyway, these projects will occupy most of my time between now and June.  Alice, Austin and I are taking an Alaska cruise in June, so that's my deadline to have these books finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment