Day - 640

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

I've been listening to many perspectives on race as a way of forming my own thoughts. It seems there's a natural default setting in America when we're going about our lives and not so focused on race. 22 months after George Floyd, we're back to that default dynamic, back to the priorities of our lives, which for white people means so many topics, priorities, to-do lists, things to buy and read and think about and discuss that have nothing to do with race. It's so easy to do. It's easy to do because race is not an attribute that impacts my life in any way. It's like thinking about air or my feet or the back of my head. They're there, but I don't think about them. Same with race. When I walk out the door, I don't think to myself, "Hmm, I wonder how racism is going to impact my day." These thoughts come to me as I listen to John McWhorter. He would be an interesting person to interview. So would Isabel Wickerson and Jeffrey Robinson. 



No comments:

Post a Comment