Day - 1416

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Oscar night tonight.  Had a haircut this morning, then we left SF around noon for Oakland.  The place was already clean from last week's Super Bowl and I didn't need to buy anything. I still had drinks and chips, etc., and Lisa and Richard were bringing Star Pizza and salad, so Alice and I hung out at Peet's from 1 to 2.


All I had to do was hook up my ABC app. to my TV.  Well, it was easier said than done.  Last week's Fox app was so easy on my Amazon Fire stick.  Not so with the ABC app.  I asked Lisa to bring her Apple TV, and after a few attempts with Alice's iPad, then my iPad, I finally got the app to work on my iPhone 7+.  Crystal clear reception and all systems were a go.  The Oscars was on!

There were some surprises tonight.  I can't believe Parasite won Best Picture over 1917.  And Best Director.  Hmm.  Sam Mendes already has his Oscar so I could live with that, but 1917 was definitely a Best Picture film imho.  I enjoyed Parasite, but didn't think it was that good.  The last 20 minutes are still a little confusing to me.

Richard, Lisa, Trey and Margaret watched with me and Alice, so it was a very small, lively crowd.  After the show, we went back to San Fran, hitting light traffic.  I was in bed by 10:30.

Glad Joachin Phoenix won Best Actor.  Haven't seen Judy yet but know Renee Zellweger is always good.  Laura Dern's acceptance speech and the way she acknowledged her parents was so touching.  I loved Best Score going to composer Hildur Guonadittir for The Joker.  Not only was the award presented by women, she was the first woman to win Best Score since 1997 and the fourth ever.  Her speech was beautiful, and her score was indeed the Best Score of the year.  It was haunting, scary, beautiful, and perfectly reflected this amazing film.



No comments:

Post a Comment