Day 1901

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

I'd never seen someone die before my eyes until today.  What an unbelievable day. 

I went to work a little early, dressed in a suit for Cliff's funeral at 11.  About 20 racquetball players showed up at Beth Eden Baptist Church for Cliff's funeral.  I showed up around 10:30.  I'd written the short speech I was asked to give on behalf of the players earlier this morning and had rehearsed it a few times in my head so I was ready.  Dorian, Robbie, Tiger and Jack were already there.  The casket was open and we viewed Cliff's body.  We collected funds for a racquetball wreath and it looked very nice.  Cliff's ex-wife made the decision to put Cliff's racquet inside the casket before it was closed.  We all liked that idea.

The service began at 11.  It was almost a full-house.  Cliff had a lot friends and family who loved him.  He was a great guy. 


The funeral went 90 minutes.  The last song was performed by Doyal Jones.  He was a big man, 50, with a clear, powerful voice.  He sang "For God So Loved the World," and sang it with all his heart.  Literally.  A few seconds after he finished, and minutes before the conclusion of the funeral, Doyal left the altar and collapsed on the ground right in front of us.  We were all stunned.  The pastor asked for a doctor in the house while wrapping up the service.  Folks from the church gathered around Doyal on the ground.  Someone administered CPR.  The paramedics came 5-7 minutes later.  They were able to get a pulse, but later we learned they lost him at the hospital.  It was surreal.  Dorian and I went to the burial at Chapel of the Chimes, then to the Repast, where we learned Doyal had also prepared all the food.  So I heard the man's last song and ate the man's last meal. 

I think a few of the racquetball guys plan to attend Doyal's funeral next week.  We need closure from what happened.  Cliff's funeral never really ended, and the tragic event that occurred left us all dazed and shocked.  It was very sad and traumatizing.  Doyal's mother was in the audience.  It was heartbreaking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment